My life, in Sept. and October, gets disturbingly busy. As the months wind down, I again am able to post to this blog and have some semblence of laundry finished and put away – with a sometimes 60 hour a week job and 4 kids and a husband to pay attention to, this can be a challenge! As I write this, the baby is sitting on my lap and crying that she wants “nu!!!” to nurse, and the older 3 are home from school, “helping” by cleaning out their craft drawers… The pile of paper on the floor in the kitchen when I return should be at least, interestingly large.
As we have rushed to pull the last of the goodness out of the garden before the frost, we kinda missed. We got the tomatoes, both red and green, but the basil all went on the vine. So, having of LOTS of green tomatoes, I’d been pondering what on earth I would do with them. Initially, last spring, I thought I’d make picalilli this year, but when our favorite farmer at the market gifted us with a bushel of huge cukes, that went out the window. We definatly do NOT need more relish – of ANY stripe! So, the green tomatoes sat on my counter for a week. Some of them went bad and my husband pitched ’em. This still left me with a very large amount of green tomatoes.
So, yesterday I sat down at the computer and went looking for things to do with them. Sadly, most of the ideas left me cold. Then I stumbled upon an interesting idea…what if I could make enchilada sauce from them!! Off I went to look for a recipie and found…a bunch. I found these three and based my own recipie loosly off of them.
None of these quite had the quantity of tomatoes or random loose ingredients around that I had needing to be used up or go bad, so here’s what I did.
- 4 medium red onions
- 1 whole clove of garlic (not the small cloves – mine were starting to sprout, so I probably pitched about 1/3rd of the clove for being too old)
Once these are minced, I fried them up in my largest stock pot with a little olive oil – just enough to wet the bottom.
Next, I processed the following:
- 3 jalepenos that were sitting, looking kinda wilted on my counter
- 3 green onions
- All of the very few tomatillos that I rescued from the half frosted plants.
Next, I began to core and mince the tomatoes. I simply added all of them to the pot as they processed.
At the very end, the spicing:
In my kitchen sits a little lime tree. We use it for it’s leaves as it’s a Thai lime. I pulled one of the leaves and put it into the mix:
- 1 thai lime leaf
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 a bottle of lime juice
- 6 tablespoons of cumin
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste (I prolly added 5-8 tbsp of salt & 1 tsp of pepper)
I brought all of this to a boil & left it overnight.
This morning I brought it to a boil again and, because I wasn’t sure of the acidity to it, I added 1 tsp of citric acid to each pint jar. Then I adjusted the spicing, ladeled it into jars and processed it in a water bath for 20 minutes.